February 11, 2021
The Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry will be working with our internal and external drug discovery groups to design and execute integrated medicinal chemistry strategies in the pursuit of target validation, hit-to-lead generation, lead optimization and clinical candidate selection. The successful candidate will design and prioritize medicinal chemistry plans and manage external chemistry teams to deliver small molecule development candidates.
- Be accountable for the design and execution of medicinal chemistry strategies that integrate aspects the entire drug R&D process – including target validation, hit finding, lead optimization, ADME/PK, pharmacology and toxicology - to successfully deliver development candidates
- Effectively manage external medicinal chemistry teams, fee for service efforts and compound management needs
- Communicate medicinal chemistry strategies, ideas and results to colleagues and management
- Work collaboratively across diverse drug discovery functions and multidisciplinary project teams
- Strongly contribute to the identification and prioritization of critical path activities to facilitate decision making and drive project progression
- Actively follow and integrate scientific advancements within the area of research interest
- Contribute to development and execution of a publication strategy, i.e. patents, medicinal chemistry literature and scientific presentations.
- BS/MS in organic chemistry with 8+ years in a pharmaceutical/biotechnology setting or PhD in organic chemistry with 4+ years’ experience
- Strong knowledge of the drug discovery process, with significant experience implementing strategies across all stages of medicinal chemistry from hit identification through to lead optimization
- Consistent track record of leadership (i.e. a go-to person) within chemistry teams (prior experience acting as project or chemistry team lead a plus)
- Experience functioning within a strong multi-disciplinary, dynamic and highly matrixed environment and utilizing physicochemical, biochemical, ADME/PK, and pharmacological data to drive medicinal chemistry strategies
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills; experience in managing external chemistry teams to high levels of performance a plus
- Demonstrated technical/problem solving skills and scientific creativity in synthetic and medicinal chemistry as evidenced by a significant publication record, filed patents and presentations
- Team player with strong organizational and interpersonal skills